How to Prepare for Your Very First Backpacking Experience
Preparing for your very first backpacking trip may seem daunting or even overwhelming, but don’t let this put you off. Backpacking is an adventure that combines hiking with camping. It enables you to visit places that are further out of reach with the luxury of knowing that you have all of your essential items with you. To get ready for your first backpacking trip, we’ve come up with some ideas to help you prepare. Keep reading below to find out more:
1 – Plan Your Route
Use a map to work out exactly where you plan on walking to. You will also need to find out about:
- The local weather conditions for the area you’re backpacking in
- The rules of the land your walking on
- The type of landscape
All of this information will help you to plan for the trip and help you to pack your bag of essential items.
2 – Tell Others Where You’re Going
Accidents can happen to any of us. Even the most experienced backpackers can be unexpectedly caught out by the weather or landscape, so it’s a good idea to inform a friend or family member of the route you’re planning on taking.
And because of the mentioned accidents, you should have a First Aid kit with you. Make sure you know how to use it by attending a course after which you have a First Aid Certificate. This way you will know what to do until help is sent.
When you set off on your hike, you will need to call your family member or friend on a regular basis so that you can let them know where you are and how you’re getting on. If they don’t hear from you, then they’ll realize something is wrong and be able to alert search teams to come and find you.
3 – Make a Packing List of Essential Items
What you pack can vary depending on the location you’re going to and the weather conditions there. Some of the important things you’ll need to pack include:
- A backpack – this one’s pretty obvious, but it’s important to remember that you need a good quality backpack that is big enough to hold all of your essential items while being as lightweight as possible.
- A tent – backpackers will want to take some form of shelter with them on their adventure. A backpacker’s tent is a perfect choice as it will help to keep you dry and warm. Backpacking tents tend to be on the lighter side, meaning they’re perfect for taking with you on long hikes. Follow these camping tips for setting up the perfect campsite.
- Clothes – this is probably an obvious one. You will need to take enough clothes with you so that you can get changed during your adventure. It’s advisable to take clothes that are suitable for the climate. You should also take a few spare items in case you get wet or cold on your journey. There’s nothing worse than walking in soggy clothing. If you’re worried that you’ve not packed enough, then why not take some soap with you? This way, you’ll be able to wash your clothes and re-wear them.
- Water bottle – a reusable water bottle can come in handy on a long adventure. Choose one that is easy to clean and cheap to buy.
- Basic grooming items – you will want to take with you some soap, a hairbrush, and any other items you need on a daily basis.
- Medication – you will need to take any medication you may need with you. Take more than you need so that you’re covered in case the worst happens.
- Technology – not everyone will want to take technology on their backpacking adventure, but in this modern era, lots of us do. There are lots of apps available for backpackers, so having some form of technology can really come in handy. If you’re considering taking technology with you, then you will need to take chargers and battery packs with you too.
- First aid kit – including one of these in your backpack is essential.
Preparing for your first backpacking experience may seem daunting at first, but by creating a plan and working out what you need to take with you, you’ll be well on your way to starting your adventure. Where will you choose to visit?