10 Best Places to Visit in Delhi
Last updated on September 11th, 2023 at 07:59 am
Delhi is a beautiful city in India, which is visited by many travelers from all over the world, who come here to see with their own eyes the ancient iconic places where many cultures intertwine. Today this city is the capital of the country. Previously, it was only a center through which many important trade routes passed.
Delhi was built on the Yamuna River, which has a special meaning in the life of the entire population. It is directly related to Hinduism and the worship of Krishna. Besides its religious significance, the river is related to the economic part of the city. Many enterprises operate here, and crops are also grown.
Previously, it was believed that you needed to wash your body in this river in order to avoid quick death and suffering. Millions of tourists and locals visit the river every day.
The climate in this city is characterized by uneven rainfall seasons and a tropical climate. The warmest months are May and June, and the rainy season begins from July to September. Winter in Delhi is dry, so frost is extremely rare here.
In this article, we prepared a travel guide for you and mentioned Indian sights that must be visited. Also, you can check things to do.
The Red Fort
Four centuries ago, this palace was famous for the turbulent life of the imperial court. In the halls of this estate, loud receptions and magnificent ceremonies did not stop for a minute. A century later, the building was subjected to multiple attacks and some parts of the building were damaged, and all the values of the emperors were plundered.
Today, travelers from all over the world come here to view the still stately building that was once a bastion of luxury and wealth.
The tomb is the first dynastic mausoleum of the Great Mughals. The building itself was built at the request of the wife of the Mughal padishah Humayun.
The building has unrivaled architectural significance. It contains a large number of arches, which are decorated with stately marble.
The construction of the temple began nine centuries ago. After that, each subsequent ruler of the country made their own changes to the architectural structures. The appearance of the temples is notable for the fact that the walls of the temple are painted with ethnic ornaments and Arabic script.
The territory of the temples is famous for the fact that here you can meet cute chipmunks, who are fed by guests with nuts and seeds.
This temple is a modern architectural heritage of the city. The purpose of the temple is that people of different religions can come and pray here. This is a feature of the Baha’i Faith, whose representatives founded this temple.
The decoration of the temple is simple and modest. You will not find gold altars and icons here. The place was created so that any believer could find peace and tranquility here.
Once upon a time, there was a wasteland with stones and unkempt territory on this place. In the last century, the wife of the King of India decided to turn this place into a park where everyone could spend their time. Exotic plants, tropical birds, and golden fish can be found on the territory of the complex. In addition to all this, you can visit the ancient tombs where the rulers of the Lodi dynasty are buried.
This temple complex is one of the must-see places. More than 12 hectares of the complex contain majestic statues, numerous fountains, and canals. This complex was opened to visitors only sixteen years ago, and now this place has become a favorite attraction for many tourists. The main place of this complex is the temple, which is over 40 meters high.
India Gatetraveling is a place where various officials come to pay tribute to the memory of the people who died in the fighting.
The material from which the arch is made changes color depending on the time of day.
The most numerous bazaar awaits tourists and locals to offer them a huge number of ethnic goods, as well as regular items. Here you can taste the very best street food.
More than four thousand craftsmen have put their hand into the creation of this magnificent structure. Here you will be surprised by the architecture of this building with its high towers and marble domes. More than twenty thousand believers can attend this mosque at the same time.
Seven years ago, this palace was opened to the public. A museum was made on its territory, where all guests can learn about the routine life of the presidents. You can also see various art objects and stroll through the luxurious apartments. A distinctive feature of the building is that several architectural styles are combined here.
How to Travel in India
The following traveling India tips will help you get acquainted with the customs and prohibitions.
- Before traveling, buy a protection mask.
- Due to the difficult sanitary and epidemiological situation in the country, it is recommended to use only bottled water, even for brushing your teeth. Do not buy ice, and do not use running water. Carefully process and disinfect vegetables and fruits.
- You can become a victim of theft. Pickpocketing and baggage theft are common here. If you come here, keep all your documents and money in the hotel safe. Coming outside, take only the money that you need.
- If you do not want to deal with the police, then pay attention to the signs where photography and video shooting are prohibited.
- Obey the rules when visiting temples and mosques. Women should enter such facilities with their heads covered and long clothing covering their legs and shoulders. Photographs can only be taken with the consent of the ministers of the temples. Various funeral processions and rituals cannot be filmed.
- Also, when entering the temple, be sure to take off your shoes. To protect yourself from various viruses and bacteria, buy shoe covers.
- Smoking is prohibited in public places, only in specially designated places.
- Be sure to check the availability of the following documents before departure: passport, copies of air tickets, a tourist voucher, insurance when traveling. Don’t forget to check the Air Suvidha self-declaration.
- Don’t forget to bring everything you need: sunscreen, a water heater, comfortable, practical shoes. Give up branded items, do not take an expensive smartphone or jewelry that shows wealth. Let us remind you that they can be stolen. It is also quite possible to refuse a first-aid kit: in India, everything is fine with medicine, the medicines here are of high quality and are often much cheaper. Take your headphones. It is always so noisy here that on the first day you can just go crazy. Travel bloggers also talk about noise – often, in order to get high-quality material, they have to remove background noise from the video as it’s too loud.
Delhi is an amazing city where you can visit a huge number of both ancient and modern cultural structures. Plan your trip from March to early July and plan booking in advance. Before traveling, be sure to read the guidelines to understand what is forbidden. Pay special attention to what to wear in India.